Detroit History Tour: Woodmere Cemetery

Woodmere is part of Detroit’s clutch of historic rural cemeteries. (See also Woodlawn and Elmwood.) It’s on Fort Street in Del Ray Springwells. The cemetery was founded in 1867 by a cabal of influential businessmen who wanted to plan a big (bigger than Elmwood), beautiful rural cemetery, far (farther than Elmwood) from the bustle of the city.

They did a pretty swell job, overall. And Woodmere is still in pretty good shape, even though some plots are crowded, with disorienting headstones facing every which way.  It’s hilly and rambling and there’s a lake in the middle ringed by leaning willows.

Woodmere also has a dedicated historian and champion, Gail Hershenzon, who literally wrote the book on Woodmere. She also runs a website with a digital records search (AMAZING!). And gives tours. I wish every historic cemetery had someone so loyal posted at this task. Anyway, we’ll leave the dirty work to her and just show you some of the many, many pictures we took.

Some folks you know might know who stay at Woodmere:

David Buick: founder of the Buick Car Company and (fun fact) inventor of bathtub enamel.

Dungaree hero Hamilton Carhartt.

Lumber baron David Whitney, whose former home is now The Whitney. See also: the Whitney Building.

Some things we noticed: A whole lot of Masons.

I love the Square and Compasses paned into the stained glass.

There are a number of fraternities, lodges and orders with monuments at Woodmere — some even have their own plots.

The Elk’s Rest.

A commemorative plaque in memory of Benjamin Geiger, erected by the Detroit Lodge No. 6 of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.

Woodmen of the World.

Woodmere also has a U.S. Army section, where a number of Civil War soldiers are at rest. Many were originally buried at Fort Wayne.

We met a lonely, pretty cemetery dog. I didn’t get too close and neither did he, but we regarded each other like this for a long time.

I like this unusual in-ground mausoleum. Hershenzon says the whole monument used to be sparkly white.

One imagines that it’s the obelisk that’s been growing, and not the tree:

There’s not as much Egyptophilia at Woodmere as there is at Woodlawn, but the Van Baalen crypt is a gem:

Check out the Pharaoh faces in the doors:

Plenty of headstones and gravemarkers in German.

A lovely barefoot angel watching over the Widman plot.

We took way too many photos. See more on our Facebook page.

#A.O.U.W. Detroit#buick#carhartt#civil war#david whitney#detroit cemeteries#elks lodge#masons#newell avery#rural cemetery#stevens shipman#u.s. army#van baalen#widman#wild dogs#woodmen of the world#woodmere

Comments

1. Tim Marks - July 8, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Great post. This cemetery is really cool to walk around. One day while shooting photos there I came across a small Bosnian Muslim section of new wooden and stone headstones. Something I never expected.

2. amy - July 8, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

Thanks, Tim! I wish I had seen that section, too. It’s such a big cemetery — I was there for almost 2 hours and I feel like I barely saw it.

3. Grace lesher - April 13, 2013 @ 10:04 am

Have relatives buried in Woodmere, Cementery,

The names,

Doelker’s and Calder

Grace

4. Sally Grieb - July 4, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

I am looking for the grave of a great Uncle William Walker and who might be buried with him.

5. Lisa Barton - October 15, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

This Cemetery is NOT in Del Ray. It is in Southwest Detroit on Fort Street. Although Del Ray is close, it is not in Del Ray. I worked there for 4 years as Office Manager.

6. amy - October 16, 2013 @ 7:51 am

Thanks for the correction, Lisa! I wrote this post several years ago before I knew my way around. Fixed it! Thanks.

7. Brenda - May 14, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

i have walked thru this cemetary at dusk all by myelf and have seen almost all of these graves my Mother is buried here also way in the back in the Ferndale section we use to love to go there and feed the ducks etc in the pond its shame that ppl came there and destroyed that and some of these beautiful monuments .

8. candice - May 14, 2014 @ 5:26 pm

Sally and Grace. You can find your loved ones grave sites when you visit the cemetery, they provide a map. Also on the website.

9. David - May 15, 2014 @ 5:21 am

I drove by everyday when I lived over on Falcon when I was a kid. Brings back a lot of memories. Wish Detroit would get back to the city it once was. It is a shame that a city that once was the booming auto manufacturing hot spot has come to what it is today.

10. Marion Rosinshi - June 26, 2014 @ 3:57 pm

Are there any Woodmere tours anymore? I went to one several years ago and I loved it. I have friends who would like to go. Please let me know.

That used to be the most beautiful cemetary. When I was a kid (long ago) my father drove my grandparents and me there every Sunday, without fail, to tend to all the graves of relatives. It was important to keep their graves in perfect order as a sign of love and respect for those who were gone.Makes me sick to see it now. Such a shame.

11. Heather Thornton - July 8, 2015 @ 2:36 am

I’m very excited. I’m documenting one of our sections and have discovered that in 1872, a few caskets were exhumed from Congress and Larned and interred here at Woodmere.
    Larned and Congress was where there was a cemetery for the English and Protestant during the British occupation (1760-1796) of Detroit.
    These graves make it our oldest in the cemetery and some if the oldest in Detroit.

12. Patricia Vick - November 17, 2015 @ 12:55 pm

Looking for grandfather is buried here died in Sept 1921 can you give me any info as to where he resided or cause of death. Believe he is buried by his brother Thomas but I don’t think has headstone! Thank you Pat Vick

13. John Wright - February 23, 2016 @ 10:53 pm

Andrew Wilbert Bell, born 20 Sept 1873, died 7 Aug 1898, buried 10 Aug. 1898 Woodmere Cemetery. Death Cert indicates married. Looking for any information on spouse. Thank You

14. Jamie K - April 14, 2016 @ 11:45 am

Woodmere is still bueatiful I’m actually sitting here now feeding the ducks. I come here almost daily.